Student must be a high school junior and a direct descendant, i.e. child, grandchild, great-grandchild or a legally adopted child of a U.S. veteran who served during a period of war. Student must participate in and complete either an American Legion Boys' State program. (NOTE - A step child is not eligible.)
The size and number of scholarships awarded is dependent upon the amount of income derived from the fund.
- W.W.I - April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918
- W.W. II - December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
- Korean War - June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955
- Vietnam War - February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975
- Lebanon/Grenada - August 24, 1982 - July 31, 1984
- Panama - December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990
- Gulf War / War On Terrorism - August 2, 1990 - Until Cessation of Hostilities.
Winners must attend an accredited US college or university. The scholarship is for undergraduate study only and may be used for: tuition, books, fees, and room and board.
The selection of the scholarship winners is based , in part, on the following criteria:
- Academic record
- Involvement in school activities
- Involvement in community activities
- Financial need
- Descendent of a Korean War Veteran